Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tube 150

Happy 150th birthday to the London Underground. On 9th January 1863 the first Metropolitan Line train pulled out of Paddington station for a journey to Farringdon (though the first revenue earning service was not until the 10th i believe). The Guardian have a nice gallery of historic photographs you can also see my photos at the LT museum taken a few days ago here.

I've had a fascination with the underground for a long time, as a child i became so obsessed with the map (even though at the time i hadn't been on the tube) that i recreated it on a big sheet of paper and a load of felt tip pens! My Nan took me to London as a child and there i experienced the tube for the first time (probably the Northern Line from Euston). It was exciting to a kid like me who only knew provincial buses. Many people moan about the tube (and of course in rush hour it isn't fun) but its so much better than public transport in the rest of the country believe me...

Nowadays i visit London a lot and the tube is very familiar to me, i even carry my Oystercard in my wallet all the time (as i just know i'll forget where i put it if i took it out) but i still have the same sense of wonder... just maybe not while standing in a packed carriage on the Jubilee Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment