The Stratford and Moreton Tramway stretched from the Bancroft basin (where the Stratford-upon-Avon canal meets the river Avon at Stratford) to Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire some 16 miles away. There was also a branch down to Shipston-on-Stour.
The horse-drawn tramway was built in the 1820s to allow coal from the Black Country that had come down the canal to continue onwards into southern Warwickshire. The Moreton to Shipston section was converted to a steam railway in 1859 and continued in use until 1960. The main section experimented with steam traction but continued with horse drawn wagons until the 1880s. It was finally abandoned in the 1920s. The course of the tramway can still be seen in some places.
A preserved wagon now stands in Stratford at the end of the old line.
The old tramway bridge over the Avon is still in use for pedestrians.