The Stratford-upon-Avon Canal only has the one tunnel, the Brandwood Tunnel which is near the Birmingham end of the canal. The Brandwood Tunnel is 322m and does not have a towpath running inside it. Boats that were horse hauled had to be "legged" through the tunnel though later on a steam tug was used to pull trains of boats through. The canal was built in 1781 by Josiah Clewes (who was the engineer behind a number of canal tunnel projects) and is named after the Brandwood Estate . The portals of the tunnel are Grade II listed and the Western one includes a portrait of William Shakespeare above the tunnel mouth and niches on the portal wall on the Eastern end.