The Gower Branch Canal is a short (half-mile long) canal linking up the James Brindley's Old and Thomas Telford's New Birmingham Main Lines in Tividale. Despite being short and straight it still includes a number of locks as the Old and New Main Lines are at different levels. At the Bradeshall Junction end of the canal is the only Staircase Lock (a number of locks close together to enable a rapid change in height with the exit of one lock being the entrance of the next) on the Birmingham Canal Navigations network.
A major benefit of the canal was to enable boats on the old main line to use the Netherton Tunnel Branch Canal without having to make a long detour. The Gower Branch Canal was authorised as part of the Birmingham Canal Navigation Act of 1768 but wasn't actually built until 1836.