Sunday, March 23, 2014

So you got a Masters, what next?

As you may know after years of work and research, toil and tears (et cetera) i completed my Masters in History this year. So the question is now, what next? The OU would like me to continue with a PhD and that does sound interesting though lack of funds and time at the moment means i can't consider it for the moment. To be honest after 9 years continuous study with the OU i want a bit of a break from required reading and TMAs. I'm not sure what i could research for a doctorate anyway, it was hard enough coming up with a masters project!

I do not have to continue studying formally of course and can continue study and research for myself, indeed i have recently begun to research an aborted canal building project of the late 19th century and hope to write an article for my waterways blog at some stage. I came across the canal project while researching for my dissertation last year, i need to make a trip to the National Archives though, something thats not so easy this year i am in employment!

At the moment though i mostly want to read something different, i have just started Mary Beard's new book and that is very good. I've also recently got into the excellent Ships in Focus Record journal on the history of merchant shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment