The Rushall Canal connects the Tame Valley and Wyrley & Essington Canals running through eastern Walsall north of Birmingham. The canal is a short and narrow one being only 4.43km long and was built between 1844 and 1847 to speed up the transport of coal from mines in Cannock to Birmingham and the Black Country. The Rushall Canal was seen as completing the Walsall canal system construction of which began in the 1790s.
The Rushall Canal is named after the Rushall parish of Walsall which the canal passes through1.
Despite being fairly short the canal includes 9 locks due to a 20m height difference between the two canals at either end.
1) Samuel Lewis (editor). "Ruscomb - Ruswarp." A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848): 717-719. British History Online. Web. 03 February 2012.